[ofa-general] no kernel_patches/backport/2.6.5_sles9_sp3

Fri Apr 11 05:18:40 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 08:38 +0200, Diego Guella wrote:

> I think it would be better to print a warning, and ask the user if the process should continue or not.

Why, when the build is going to fail ultimately with some kind of
compiler error?

> In the past I installed OFED 1.0 on Suse Linux 9.3 Professional (an unsupported operating system), and the only change I done was to
> the installation script, to make it recognize SL 9.3Pro as SLES.

That's different.  The non-support didn't result in a build failure,
complete with compiler errors and all.

> Actually, it would be much better if the config process stops, prints a warning, print a list of supported operating systems, and
> then let the user choose which operating system should OFED be compiled for.

Why?  When the kernel I am trying to compile for is SLES9 and recognized
as such and it is known to result in a complete build failure?  What
could I possibly answer to the prompt to make it succeed?

This is not a case of a mis-detection.  It correctly detects the kernel
source as SLES9.  It's a simple matter that there is no support in OFED
1.3 for SLES9 and the result is a completely broken build.

Now, if you had patches that make it work, send them upstream and then
the supported status of OFED 1.3 could change.  But lacking that, no
amount of pausing and prompting is going to fix the basic issue here.

b.