[ofa-general] Loading of ib_mthca fails

Xavier Andrade xavier at tddft.org
Thu Apr 24 09:46:27 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Roland Dreier wrote:

> Hmm, not sure... let's see what the Mellanox guys say (they're mostly on
> vacation this week so it might be a few days).
>
> The only things I can think of to try are:
> - go to mellanox.com and get latest FW and make sure there's not
>   anything strange about what's on your card (but given that it is seen
>   by the driver, the FW must at least have a valid checksum I think)

I can't locate the correct firmware, the PSID reported by mtsflint
corresponds to an Intel one:

Image type:      Failsafe
I.S. Version:    1
Chip Revision:   A0
GUIDs:           0002c9020022baa4 0002c9020022baa5 0002c9020022baa7
Board ID:         (INT0010000001)
VSD:
PSID:            INT0010000001

But I haven't been able to find any firmware in Intel's webpage.

Do you think that I could use a Mellanox firmware? Which one? There
are three different ones for the MT25204.

> - if you're building your own kernel, try the Debian 2.6.24 generic
>   amd64 image and see if that's any different, because I definitely
>   have mt25204 HCAs working with that.

I tried with 2.6.18 (the default etch kernel) and it gave the same
problem.

Finally, I upgraded the BIOS of the machine (to version 85 from 79) and
the module is loaded without problems and everything works correctly. So
probably it was motherboard issue.

Regards,

Xavier