[ofa-general] Problems running dtest - DAT_INVALID_ADDRESS

small at cs.fsu.edu small at cs.fsu.edu
Wed Jan 9 11:51:47 PST 2008

I am VERY new to infiniband and I am trying to figure out the DAT API
so I can perhaps create a simple ping-pong program using uDAPl.  I
have not found any good examples of accessing infiniband through a
user API.  My adviser has a sixteen node infiniband cluster that we
have used primarily for MPI research and  when I try and run the dtest
program on one of the nodes I get the following error:

$ dtest
24924 Running as server - OpenIB-cma
24924: Error Adaptor open: DAT_INVALID_ADDRESS

I saw a previous thread with a similar problem and the solution was to
add the ib1 ip address to the /etc/dat.conf file, but I cannot find
access to any infiniband ip information.  We have ethernet adapters on
each node which we use to address each node in MPI programs.  But then
with the shared file system I have 16 ip addresses and one copy of
dat.conf.  Which ip address(') should I put into it and where? When I
do an 'ifconfig' no ib adapter is present and when I try 'ifconfig
ib0' I get:

ib0       Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr
00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:2044  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:128
           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

When I do an ifconfig on ib1-9 they do not exist.
Here is my /etc/dat.conf :

#
OpenIB-cma u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/lib64/libdaplcma.so
dapl.1.2 "ib0 0" ""
OpenIB-cma-1 u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/lib64/libdaplcma.so
dapl.1.2 "ib1 0" ""
OpenIB-cma-2 u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/lib64/libdaplcma.so
dapl.1.2 "ib2 0" ""
OpenIB-cma-3 u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/lib64/libdaplcma.so
dapl.1.2 "ib3 0" ""
OpenIB-bond u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/lib64/libdaplcma.so
dapl.1.2 "bond0 0" ""

Any help would be much appreciated though I know I am probably missing
something very simple and obvious (or just have a too limited
understanding of my adviser's cluster).  Also, I would like to know if
the uDAPl is in fact the best way to interface with infiniband and any
links to help me get started with it would be nice.