[ofa-general] Problems running dtest - DAT_INVALID_ADDRESS

Arlin Davis ardavis at ichips.intel.com
Wed Jan 9 14:25:19 PST 2008

small at cs.fsu.edu wrote:

> dat.conf.  Which ip address(') should I put into it and where? When I do
> an 'ifconfig' no ib adapter is present and when I try 'ifconfig ib0' I get:

DAPL requires IPoIB to be up and configured with an address. Assuming
your adapters are all connected via port 1, you need to configure the
ib0 devices (static addresses) on the fabric.

For example:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ib0
DEVICE=ib0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

> #
> OpenIB-cma u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/lib64/libdaplcma.so dapl.1.2
> "ib0 0" ""

uDAPL applications, dtest included, call dat_ia_open with a provider
device name. In this case, the "OpenIB-cma" name is used and if you look
at /etc/dat.conf you will see the link to a provider library and the
device of ib0. The INVALID_ADDRESS is returned because no IP address is
configured on netdev ib0.

See dtest manpage for dtest client/server usage.

Also, I would like to know if
> the uDAPl is in fact the best way to interface with infiniband and any
> links to help me get started with it would be nice.

It depends on how much portability you want and how many different
devices you wish to support with your application. uDAPL provides both
O/S and transport independence so if you have plans to run your
application on multiple O/S'es or want to support more then just OFA
RDMA devices then uDAPL is your best choice.

-arlin