***SPAM*** Re: [ofa-general] Getting Started with RDMA

Dotan Barak dotanba at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 13:19:51 PDT 2008

Adrien Guillon wrote:
> Alright, thanks for helping the n00b everyone.  How about IB CM?  The
> page says:
>
> "Use of the IB CM requires knowledge the IB CM protocols defined in
> Chapter 12 of the IB Architecture Spec Release 1.2."
>
> How difficult is it in reality to use this library?  I assume that
> this would give better performance than RDMA CM?  I also presume that
> I can do RDMA operations with that, since Infiniband provides them in
> the standard.

In the past i connected QPs using the IB CM (sorry, but i don't have
this code any more ...),
It wasn't complicated IF you understand what all of the QP attributes means
(i don't know if a beginner has this knowledge).

So i would suggest that a beginner will connect QPs using RDMA CM.

If you wish, you can even connect the QPs by exchanging the parameter
over TCP sockets
(it is not what the IB architects meant but hey, it works)
Example for this can be seen in the pinpong examples of libibverbs.

> Thanks,
>
> AJ
Thanks
Dotan