[ofa-general] debian build instructions?

John Marshall John.Marshall at ec.gc.ca
Fri Jul 11 12:47:44 PDT 2008

Roland Dreier wrote:
>  > There seem to be a lot of people on this list. Is there
>  > no one working with debian that might be able to
>  > give a pointer?
>
> I use Debian for pretty much all my development.  However I haven't
> tried to use OFED -- rather, I have just gotten all the support that I
> use into the main Debian archive.  I'm not sure how much is in Etch but
> Lenny should be pretty good: there are libibverbs, librdmacm, libmthca,
> libmlx4, libcxgb3, and libipathverbs packages in the main archive, along
> with Open MPI 1.2.6 built with IB support.  And the 2.6.25 kernel in the
> archive should have all the kernel drivers you need.
>
> I'd be curious to know if there is something else you would need to use
> a stock Debian install.

Hi,

I think I've missed what is going on. I just checked out the version
numbers of the individual packages which make up ofed-1.3 against
what is in the main archive (which packages you are putting in) and,
lo and behold, they are pretty close. It was the ofed versioning that
threw me off so that I thought the archive packages were quite out
of date--and that I would have to rebuild them.

Am I right?

I need the following:
    opensm - for a switch
    infiniband-diags - the diag tools
    mstflint - to update firmware
    libib*mad - to support the management tools above
    libibcommon - "

Thanks,
John