[ofa-general] Is response time of GMP is more than SMP

Sumit Gaur - Sun Microsystem Sumit.Gaur at Sun.COM
Tue Jun 24 23:41:36 PDT 2008

Hi Hal/Sashak,

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Hi Sumit,
>
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 14:21 +0530, Sumit Gaur - Sun Microsystem wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I am using OFED 2.5.*
>
>                   ^^^^^
>                   1.2.5.* ?

Sorry for typo .. it is 1.2.5.*

>> and observing that my SMI requests are serving very fast
>>and response time is very less on the contrary my GSI requests were served in
>>more time and response time sometime goes more than 2 sec. Any light on this
>>different behavior.
>

> What are the specific GS requests which are slow in response ? Are they
> compute intensive ?
I am sending only request for

	rpc.mgtclass = IB_PERFORMANCE_CLASS;
	rpc.method = IB_MAD_METHOD_GET;

at every one second.

> In general, there are a few possibilities (which can cause this). SM
> traffic is VL15 whereas GS traffic is on a data VL (usually VL0 in most
> subnets).
>
> Some possibilities are:
> 1. Timeout/retry being hit for some GS traffic (GS request or response
> lost/corrupted)
Yes, this is also happening, Sometimes I am getting corrupt data back, and if I
retry to send same request again it fails or send corrupted data back again.

> 2. Data VL busy (is there anything else utilizing VL0 ?)
Not sure about it. Is there anything to verify it? I am running openSM also but
not using it..

> 3. CPU busy (what other things are competing for CPU on the responder ?)
CPU utilization is ok.

  and all requests are lid routed routed.