[ofa-general] Is response time of GMP is more than SMP

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Wed Jun 25 07:48:30 PDT 2008

Hi Sumit,

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 12:11 +0530, Sumit Gaur - Sun Microsystem wrote:
> Hi Hal/Sashak,
>
> Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > Hi Sumit,
> >
> > On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 14:21 +0530, Sumit Gaur - Sun Microsystem wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>I am using OFED 2.5.*
> >
> >                   ^^^^^
> >                   1.2.5.* ?
> >
> Sorry for typo .. it is 1.2.5.*
> >
> >> and observing that my SMI requests are serving very fast
> >>and response time is very less on the contrary my GSI requests were served in
> >>more time and response time sometime goes more than 2 sec. Any light on this
> >>different behavior.
> >

> > What are the specific GS requests which are slow in response ? Are they
> > compute intensive ?
> I am sending only request for
>
> 	rpc.mgtclass = IB_PERFORMANCE_CLASS;
> 	rpc.method = IB_MAD_METHOD_GET;
>
> at every one second.
>

> > In general, there are a few possibilities (which can cause this). SM
> > traffic is VL15 whereas GS traffic is on a data VL (usually VL0 in most
> > subnets).
> >
> > Some possibilities are:
> > 1. Timeout/retry being hit for some GS traffic (GS request or response
> > lost/corrupted)
> Yes, this is also happening, Sometimes I am getting corrupt data back,

Is there an error indicated ?

> and if I retry to send same request again it fails or send corrupted data back again.

> > 2. Data VL busy (is there anything else utilizing VL0 ?)
> Not sure about it. Is there anything to verify it?

There's an optional counter not commonly implemented so maybe starting
by verifying all the PortCounters along the path from requester to
responder to see whether there are any low level issues with your
subnet.

>  I am running openSM also but
> not using it..

Not sure what you mean by running it but not using it.

-- Hal