[ofa-general] opensm config

John Parhizgari parhizj at ufl.edu
Wed Jun 25 14:08:28 PDT 2008

I do not know if you have changed this since opensm 3.1.11, but the
default behavior for "opensm -c" is to create the opensm.opts with
program defaults, unfortunately if it runs in master mode it will also
simultaneously change all the current SM settings to these program
defaults at this time; this behavior is awkward since most will
understand from the man page -c is ONLY supposed to create the config
file -- not create and load in program defaults into the subnet.  At the
least make it clear in the manual that the config file will be created
using program defaults, not the current settings of the SM, and these
settings will be loaded in at this time if you use -c (to make sure the
user still has a copy of what their SM settings were)

It might be beneficial for it to be able to get the current SM settings
and use those to create the .opts file (for those that aren't using
OpenSM now).

I think the default behavior should really be that unless the user
specifies to load in the configuration file opensm.opts file either in
the opensm.conf or on the command line it shouldn't modify any of the SM
settings, since they may inadvertently mess with the current SM settings
if the cluster is up and running.