[ofa-general] opensm config

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Wed Jun 25 14:28:22 PDT 2008

On 17:08 Wed 25 Jun     , John Parhizgari wrote:
> I do not know if you have changed this since opensm 3.1.11,

Yes, we changed this in the master (3.2.1+) already.

> but the default
> behavior for "opensm -c" is to create the opensm.opts with program
> defaults,

Not only defaults, if you will specify something in OpenSM command line,
or already have opensm.opts file it will be there too.

> unfortunately if it runs in master mode it will also
> simultaneously change all the current SM settings to these program defaults
> at this time; this behavior is awkward since most will understand from the
> man page -c is ONLY supposed to create the config file

It is how it will work now - generate config file and exit.

> -- not create and
> load in program defaults into the subnet.  At the least make it clear in
> the manual that the config file will be created using program defaults, not
> the current settings of the SM, and these settings will be loaded in at
> this time if you use -c (to make sure the user still has a copy of what
> their SM settings were)
>
> It might be beneficial for it to be able to get the current SM settings and
> use those to create the .opts file (for those that aren't using OpenSM
> now).

I see what you mean - to be aware about another SM configuration.

OpenSM will try to preserve many already configured things on a fabric
(like LID assignment), but knowing all another SM (which is also
proprietary) internal rules is not something easy doable.

Sasha