[ofa-general] Is response time of GMP is more than SMP

Sumit Gaur - Sun Microsystem Sumit.Gaur at Sun.COM
Fri Jun 27 06:58:47 PDT 2008

hi Hal,

Hal Rosenstock wrote:

>>>Can you elaborate on the multiple sends ? Are they outstanding
>>>concurrently ? Are they to the same destination or different ones ? Are
>>>they from a single or multiple threads ?
>>
>>No they are sending sequentially(mutex enabled) no concurrency but timeout for
>>umad_recv is 100ms.
>

> Can you try increasing that to see if there is some threshold where it
> works more reliably ? Does it work better at say 200 msec (as you said
> your rate was 4/sec) ? The default timeout used in the diags is 1 sec.

yes, I tried increasing it upto 3000ms but condition not improved much (it
*reduced* timeout failures but *no reduction* in recv_fail and this piling up
number of request per second too at client side). Also I tried same code on two
separate subnet and similar problem come across. Could be a network issue but is
it a fact that GMP request takes much more time then SMP request (for ideal
subnet) ?