[ofa-general] Is response time of GMP is more than SMP

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Fri Jun 27 08:10:11 PDT 2008

Hi Sumit,

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 19:28 +0530, Sumit Gaur - Sun Microsystem wrote:
> hi Hal,

> >>No they are sending sequentially(mutex enabled) no concurrency but timeout for
> >>umad_recv is 100ms.
> >

> > Can you try increasing that to see if there is some threshold where it
> > works more reliably ? Does it work better at say 200 msec (as you said
> > your rate was 4/sec) ? The default timeout used in the diags is 1 sec.
>
> yes, I tried increasing it upto 3000ms but condition not improved much (it
> *reduced* timeout failures but *no reduction* in recv_fail and this piling up
> number of request per second too at client side).

Right; I'm not sure you can send the subsequent request until the former
one either completes or times out.

>  Also I tried same code on two
> separate subnet and similar problem come across.

Is the second subnet any better/cleaner than the first ?

>  Could be a network issue but is
> it a fact that GMP request takes much more time then SMP request (for ideal
> subnet) ?

Other than SMPs being VL15 with no flow control and GMPs being data VL
(usually VL0) with flow control, there should be no difference for SMA
v. PMA requests AFAIK.

-- Hal