[ofa-general] [infiniband-diags] add --loop_ports option to perfquery

Al Chu chu11 at llnl.gov
Wed Oct 8 03:26:29 PDT 2008

Hey Hal,

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 07:03 -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Al,
>
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Al Chu <chu11 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> > Hey Sasha,
> >
> > We have a switch here that does not report the AllPortSelect flag as a
> > capability.  It's pretty annoying typing each port on the switch or
> > always having to script around this one oddball switch we have.  So I
> > added an option --loop_ports for perfquery.  If you want to do something
> > to all the ports on the CA/Switch, but AllPortSelect isn't available, it
> > loops through all the available ports instead.
>
> Why not add simulated AllPortSelect for multiple ports rather than add
> another perquery option for this ?

I did try that, and it did seem to work for the switches we had.  But
when I read the IB spec, it said something to the affect that if a
system doesn't support AllPortSelect, setting the PortSelect field to
0xFF was undefined behavior.

> > There was already a workaround in the tool for a CA that did not support
> > the AllPortSelect flag.  I get the feeling the workaround may have been
> > for a specific hardware, so I kept the workaround in there.
>
> > Al
> >
> > --
> > Albert Chu
> > chu11 at llnl.gov
> > Computer Scientist
> > High Performance Systems Division
> > Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

> There are also 2 for loops which are not correct for some switches:
> for (i = 1; i <= num_ports; i++)

I guess I've never seen a switch that doesn't go from 1 to num_ports.
Is there something else I need to handle?

Al

--
Albert Chu
chu11 at llnl.gov