[ofa-general] Re: opensm as service - cfg files

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Wed Oct 22 06:10:18 PDT 2008

Hi Yevgeny,

On 14:56 Wed 22 Oct     , Yevgeny Kliteynik wrote:

> 1. OpenSM config file.
>    Do we still need opensm/scripts/opensm.conf?
>    I think it's not used any more.

Correct, not used and not installed. Actually can be removed.

> 2. From opensm/scripts/opensm.init.in:
>       @sbindir@/opensm -B $OPTIONS > /dev/null
>    Is someone setting the $OPTIONS variable?

Have no idea. Hope nodody is.

> I think it was
>    set in the config file in the past, but not now.

In this script there still be '. /etc/sysconfig/opensm', so
hypothetically somebody can define $OPTIONS there even now.

> 3. From opensm/scripts/redhat-opensm.init.in:
>      CONFIG=@sysconfdir@/sysconfig/opensm.conf
>      if [ -f $CONFIG ]; then
> 	 . $CONFIG
>      fi
>
>    From opensm/scripts/opensm.init.in:
>      if [[ -s /etc/sysconfig/opensm ]]; then
>          . /etc/sysconfig/opensm
>      fi
>
>    If it's not some naming convention, perhaps we should use
>    opensm.conf in both cases?

I guess it is OFED legacy. I don't have clear idea about why it was done
this way. Basically have nothing against unifying or even removing this
stuff completely.

> 4. Logrotate:
>    opensm/scripts/opensm.spec.in installs logrotate file as follows:
>       install -m 644 scripts/opensm.logrotate $etc/logrotate.d/opensm
>    I may be off here, but should the installed file name be opensmd
>    to match the service name?

I think rather the service name should be renamed to 'opensm' and not
'opensmd'. "d" at end is pure OFED convention, most distros are not using
this.

Sasha