[ofa-general] opensm as service - cfg files

Yevgeny Kliteynik kliteyn at dev.mellanox.co.il
Mon Oct 27 05:46:09 PDT 2008

Philippe Gregoire wrote:
> Al Chu a écrit :
>> On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 14:53 +0200, Philippe Gregoire wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Yevgeny,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to write this service so it will be able to manage
>>> multiple instances of opensm on the same node, I mean start and stop
>>> all instances at the same time or separately.
>>> This will be very usefull when you have several Infiniband storage
>>> devices connected directly to one node,
>>> so you have to run several opensm -g guid processes on this node.
>>>
>>> It is authorized to have a service that understand parameters like:
>>> service start 0x8000010232
>>> or service start ddn12.conf
>>>

>> This doesn't sound like that bad of idea, although "what does the user
>> expect" is a concern.  My co-worker brought up the simple issue of the
>> log files.  Do you automatically pick a different log file to store to,
>> or does it store to the same log, or is it the user's responsibility to
>> pick a reasonable different log file name in the .conf file?  I have no
>> idea what other daemons/init scripts do.
>>
>> Al
>>

> init scripts generally execute/source some configuration file located in
> /etc/sysconfig/ to set some variables used in the script. These
> variables can be used to distinguish pid filename and log filename for
> different opensm instances. If these variables are not defined in the
> conf file, they should be build from the parameter value e.g :
> opensm.log.ddn12 or opensm.pid.ddn12

It is possible to make init script understand parameters, so that
you will be able to run "opensmd start -guid <GUID>" or
"opensmd start -conf <conf_file>", but I think that there will be
some problems monitoring these opensm instances once they started.
For instance, how would you run "opensmd status" on a specific
opensm instance?
Other approach is to have some variable in the conf file, e.g.
GUIDS="guid1 guid2 ...", and then in the init script it will
iterate through all the guids and run opensm instances for all of
them, but then you'll be able to manage these processes together,
not one by one. For instance, "opensmd stop" will kill all the
opensm processes.

-- Yevgeny