[ofa-general] compat-dapl-1.2.10 install bogosity

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 22:01:59 PDT 2008

Arlin, you usually put out such nice stuff.  But the install-exec-hook
you wrote into Makefile.am (as well as the uninstall-hook) are both
busted (not to mention the absolute wrong thing to do anyway).

When using automake, all of your install directives that automake
creates automatically have $(DESTDIR) prepended to them so that make
DESTDIR=<some_path> install will work.  In the case of just about any
build system I know if, this is an absolute requirement.  When you hand
write your own targets via hooks like that, they obviously don't get
rewritten by automake so you have to include $(DESTDIR) yourself.  When
I tried to build this package, it tried to modify the /etc/ofed/dat.conf
file on my real filesystem instead of looking into the rpm build root.

However, even once you fix that, modifying user configuration files
without their consent as part of make install is just a *BAD* idea.  The
only time you should ever do anything like this is when you just flat
don't care about things like rpm packaging (or apt packaging) and having
the files on your system trackable, verifiable, erasable, etc.  Install
methods that do this sort of thing are a good way to really alienate
people in a position like me ;-)

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194