[ofa-general] Re: compat-dapl-1.2.10 install bogosity

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 12:32:08 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 01:03 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> Arlin, you usually put out such nice stuff.  But the install-exec-hook
> you wrote into Makefile.am (as well as the uninstall-hook) are both
> busted (not to mention the absolute wrong thing to do anyway).
>
> When using automake, all of your install directives that automake
> creates automatically have $(DESTDIR) prepended to them so that make
> DESTDIR=<some_path> install will work.  In the case of just about any
> build system I know if, this is an absolute requirement.  When you hand
> write your own targets via hooks like that, they obviously don't get
> rewritten by automake so you have to include $(DESTDIR) yourself.  When
> I tried to build this package, it tried to modify the /etc/ofed/dat.conf
> file on my real filesystem instead of looking into the rpm build root.
>
> However, even once you fix that, modifying user configuration files
> without their consent as part of make install is just a *BAD* idea.  The
> only time you should ever do anything like this is when you just flat
> don't care about things like rpm packaging (or apt packaging) and having
> the files on your system trackable, verifiable, erasable, etc.  Install
> methods that do this sort of thing are a good way to really alienate
> people in a position like me ;-)

Turns out the dapl-2 package was doing this to.  I've attached the patch
I used to solve the problem.  I still don't know if I'd go around
editing user config files on install/uninstall though.

Oh, and I made the patch in the Makefile.in files because I don't run
the automake tools, so it wouldn't get picked up if it was against
Makefile.am.  But, obviously, that's where you would want to apply these
hunks.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194