[ofa-general] ***SPAM*** Re: IB Bonding errors with recent kernel

Moni Shoua monis at Voltaire.COM
Tue Apr 21 05:04:20 PDT 2009

Dennis Portello wrote:
> I can confirm that this issue exists beyond Redhat 4, I'm using Ubuntu
> 8.10 (2.6.27).
>
> I'm using ib-bond and I've also tried adding he bonds directly with
>
> echo +bond0 > /sys/class/net/bonding_masters
> echo 1 > /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/mode
> echo 100 > /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/miimon
> echo +ib0 > /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/slaves
> echo +ib1 > /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/slaves
> ifconfig bond0 192.168.47.102/24 <http://192.168.47.102/24>
> route add -net 224.0.0.0/3 <http://224.0.0.0/3> gw 192.168.47.100

I guess that what you see is a result of 2 issues.
First, a garbage multicast addresses that is passed to ib0 by bond0
The second, a garbage mulicast address in the list of mcast addresses of interface ib0 prevents other legal addresses from joining the mcast group.

To avoid this (at least as a workaround) you should make sure that interface bond0 won't be up before it  has ib slaves
or in other words, bond0 was never up between 'modprobe bonding' and 'echo +ib0 > /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/slaves'

Let me know if this  helps