[ofa-general] Re: How to tell what OFED rev a distro derived IB modules?

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Tue Apr 28 11:15:36 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:01:37AM +0300, Jack Morgenstein wrote:
> On Monday 27 April 2009 19:55, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > OFED tests the past - back ports to old distributions and a random
> > non-upstream collection of patches ontop of that. That is fine for end
> > users, but..

> That is not quite the case.  We do test regression on the base kernel of
> a given OFED distribution (That is -- on a system which runs the base kernel,
> but installing OFED, which does include kernel_patches/fixes), so we do
> verify that OFED does run properly on its base kernel.  We are not testing
> just the past.

But by the time OFED starts that testing the base kernel version is
in the past, and if any bugs are found they can't really be fixed
upstream. Plus patching OFED into the base kernel kinda defeats the
entire point..

The point is to test the current Linus releases so that when the
distributions fork them off they are good, working and compatible with
userspace.

Jason