[ofa-general] Baseboard Management API

Miller, Ross G. rgmiller at ornl.gov
Mon Aug 10 08:44:08 PDT 2009

Supposedly, the switches have BMA's, but I guess I'd better go check with the sysadmins and find out for sure.

Regarding the error code:

If I set the method to IB_MAD_METHOD_GET and the attrid to IB_BM_ATTR_BKEYINFO, then I get an error out of mad_rpc saying the status field was 0xC.  If I'm reading the architecture spec right, 0xC means that method/attrid combination isn't supported.

If I try IB_MAD_SEND and IB_BM_ATTR_GET_MODULE_STATUS, I receive no errors back, but I also receive no data.

FWIW: The code I've written is based loosely on vendstat.c, but for simplicity I've stripped it down quite a bit and just hard-coded the parameters (method, attrid, LID, etc...)  I'm trying to write a simple utility that will query the status of the redundant power supplies on the switches so our admins don't have to physically check each morning looking for failures.  Byte 5 of IB_BM_ATTR_GET_MODULE_STATUS should tell me exactly what I need, I think.  The only reason for trying the BKEYINFO was just to see if I could get anything to work at all.

Thanks,

Ross G. Miller
Systems Integration Programmer
National Center for Computational Sciences
Oak Ridge National Laboratory