[ofa-general] Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu Aug 20 15:41:39 PDT 2009

Roland wrote,

>Lately, I've had a few emails that I thought would have been of interest
>to both lkml and also to general at lists.openfabrics.org.  I've held back
>on cross-posting them because I know that general@ is subscribers-only,
>and the bounce messages are quite annoying to replies coming from lkml.

>The general@ list is subscribers-only because the openfabrics.org
>sysadmin team is already overworked without trying to keep an open list
>spam free.  (I say that with no intention to criticize the
>openfabrics.org admins -- they do a terrific job of keeping things
>running with the limited resources available; it's more a testament to
>how impressive the vger mailing list admins are)

>I've also noticed one or two messages about the possibility of moving
>another moderated list to vger.  Certainly I prefer open lists that
>don't require subscriptions to post.

>So with that background, what would people think about creating an open
>vger list (say, linux-rdma at vger.kernel.org) to carry the discussion
>currently on general at lists.openfabrics.org?  (The transition plan would
>probably be to keep the general@ list for a month or two, with frequent
>announcements of the new list, until archives etc. have caught up with
>the switch)

The one question I would have would be do the kernel.org people want to
see all of the traffic that we currently have on the open fabrics
general list for all of the user-space components?

I do not think it would be good if we had to have one list on vger for
kernel work and another one for all the user-space work.  Other than
that, I do not really care where the general develop list is hosted.

my 2 cents,
woody