[ofa-general] sminfo report iberror in the first configuration on RHEL5.3

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 05:20:30 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 13:20 +0200, Tziporet Koren wrote:
> Wen Hao Wang wrote:
> >
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I changed my blade OS to RHEL5.3 yesterday and installed OFED (shipped
> > in RHEL5.3 image) by "yum groupisntall". Then I load some drivers and
> > wrote network interface configuration file ifcfg-ib0. ifup ib0 also
> > succeeded. But IB utilites report Connetion timed out.
> >

> > [root at xblade06 network-scripts]# sminfo
> > ibwarn: [32593] _do_madrpc: recv failed: Connection timed out
> > ibwarn: [32593] mad_rpc: _do_madrpc failed; dport (Lid 9)
> > sminfo: iberror: failed: query
> >
> > I had to reboot the blade and rerun "openibd start". Then sminfo
> > reported correct contents. I do not suppose this reboot is required.
> > Did I miss any configuration step?

There was an unintentional bug in the rhel5.2 openibd init script in
that it automatically turned itself on during install (generally, most
init scripts should default to *not* turning themselves on during
install of the package, nor should they start themselves during install
of the package...this is for security reasons, imagine if you installed
the bind name server on your box and it automatically started up before
you had a chance to configure it).  In rhel5.3 we fixed that bug.  So,
you may need to 'chkconfig --level 2345 openibd on' to make sure openibd
starts up each time.  The error you list above is consistent with not
all of the kernel modules being loaded when you tried to use the sminfo
program.

> > Moreover, "openibd start" report one warning message about hwconf.
> > Anyone has comments about this?
> >
> > [root at xblade07 ~]# /etc/init.d/openibd start
> > file or directory
> > [ OK ]

Can you see if the kudzu package is installed on your machine?  The
openib package uses this config file written by kudzu to determine what
hardware drivers to load.  I suppose I should put a specific requires in
the rpm for that.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194