***SPAM*** Re: [ofa-general] sminfo report iberror in the first configuration on RHEL5.3

Wen Hao Wang wangwhao at cn.ibm.com
Thu Feb 12 16:05:48 PST 2009

Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com> 写于 2009-02-12 21:20:30:

> On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 13:20 +0200, Tziporet Koren wrote:
> > Wen Hao Wang wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all:
> > >
> > > I changed my blade OS to RHEL5.3 yesterday and installed OFED
(shipped
> > > in RHEL5.3 image) by "yum groupisntall". Then I load some drivers and

> > > wrote network interface configuration file ifcfg-ib0. ifup ib0 also
> > > succeeded. But IB utilites report Connetion timed out.
> > >

> > > [root at xblade06 network-scripts]# sminfo
> > > ibwarn: [32593] _do_madrpc: recv failed: Connection timed out
> > > ibwarn: [32593] mad_rpc: _do_madrpc failed; dport (Lid 9)
> > > sminfo: iberror: failed: query
> > >
> > > I had to reboot the blade and rerun "openibd start". Then sminfo
> > > reported correct contents. I do not suppose this reboot is required.
> > > Did I miss any configuration step?
>
> There was an unintentional bug in the rhel5.2 openibd init script in
> that it automatically turned itself on during install (generally, most
> init scripts should default to *not* turning themselves on during
> install of the package, nor should they start themselves during install
> of the package...this is for security reasons, imagine if you installed
> the bind name server on your box and it automatically started up before
> you had a chance to configure it).  In rhel5.3 we fixed that bug.  So,

Yeah. I heard of this bug.

> you may need to 'chkconfig --level 2345 openibd on' to make sure openibd
> starts up each time.  The error you list above is consistent with not
> all of the kernel modules being loaded when you tried to use the sminfo
> program.

Even after reboot, service openibd is not started automatically.
[root at xblade06 ~]# chkconfig --list openibd
openibd         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

I agree with you that maybe some modules were not loaded. But what's that?
Before reboot, I run "/etc/init.d/openibd start" and "/etc/init.d/network
restart". No error was reported. "openibd status" also looked good.

> > > Moreover, "openibd start" report one warning message about hwconf.
> > > Anyone has comments about this?
> > >
> > > [root at xblade07 ~]# /etc/init.d/openibd start
> > > file or directory
> > > [ OK ]
>
> Can you see if the kudzu package is installed on your machine?  The
> openib package uses this config file written by kudzu to determine what
> hardware drivers to load.  I suppose I should put a specific requires in
> the rpm for that.

kudzu is installed.
[root at xblade06 ~]# rpm -q kudzu
kudzu-1.2.57.1.21-1

> --
> Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
>               GPG KeyID: CFBFF194
>               http://people.redhat.com/dledford
>
> Infiniband specific RPMs available at
>               http://people.redhat.com/dledford/Infiniband
>
> [附件 "signature.asc" 被 Wen Hao Wang/China/IBM 删除]

Thanks!

Wen Hao Wang
Email: wangwhao at cn.ibm.com