[ofa-general] sminfo report iberror in the first configuration on RHEL5.3

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 08:13:32 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 08:05 +0800, Wen Hao Wang wrote:
> Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com> 写于 2009-02-12 21:20:30:

> (shipped
> drivers and
> also

> sminfo
> required.
> >
> > There was an unintentional bug in the rhel5.2 openibd init script in
> > that it automatically turned itself on during install (generally,
> most
> > init scripts should default to *not* turning themselves on during
> > install of the package, nor should they start themselves during
> install
> > of the package...this is for security reasons, imagine if you
> installed
> > the bind name server on your box and it automatically started up
> before
> > you had a chance to configure it).  In rhel5.3 we fixed that bug.
>  So,
>
> Yeah. I heard of this bug.
>
> > you may need to 'chkconfig --level 2345 openibd on' to make sure
> openibd
> > starts up each time.  The error you list above is consistent with
> not
> > all of the kernel modules being loaded when you tried to use the
> sminfo
> > program.
>
> Even after reboot, service openibd is not started automatically.
> [root at xblade06 ~]# chkconfig --list openibd
> openibd         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

That's because you have to run the command I listed in my first email to
turn it on.

> I agree with you that maybe some modules were not loaded. But what's
> that?
> Before reboot, I run "/etc/init.d/openibd start" and
> "/etc/init.d/network
> restart". No error was reported. "openibd status" also looked good.

Running start on a service does not enable that service at the next
reboot.  You must specifically enable the service in order for it to
start automatically.

> hwconf.

> such
> >
> > Can you see if the kudzu package is installed on your machine?  The
> > openib package uses this config file written by kudzu to determine
> what
> > hardware drivers to load.  I suppose I should put a specific
> requires in
> > the rpm for that.
>
> kudzu is installed.
> [root at xblade06 ~]# rpm -q kudzu
> kudzu-1.2.57.1.21-1

Make sure kudzu has been run at least once then (it would appear to be
turned off on your machine or else /etc/sysconfig/hwconf would exist).
You can run it manually from the command line and that should be
sufficient for the openibd init script's needs.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at