[ofa-general] OFED 1.4's autoconf.h conflicting with kernel

Jeff Becker Jeffrey.C.Becker at nasa.gov
Fri Jan 23 11:01:49 PST 2009

Hi Brian

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> So, I noticed that OFED 1.4 is bringing a whole lot more into
> it's /usr/src/ofa_kernel/include/linux/autoconf.h than 1.3.1 did.  I
> find these additional defines with 1.4:
>
> #undef CONFIG_SUNRPC_XPRT_RDMA
> #undef CONFIG_SUNRPC
> #undef CONFIG_SUNRPC_GSS
> #undef CONFIG_RPCSEC_GSS_KRB5
> #undef CONFIG_RPCSEC_GSS_SPKM3
> #undef CONFIG_NFS_FS
> #undef CONFIG_NFS_V3
> #undef CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL
> #undef CONFIG_NFS_V4
> #undef CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT
> #undef CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO
> #undef CONFIG_SYSCTL
> #undef CONFIG_EXPORTFS
> #undef CONFIG_LOCKD
> #undef CONFIG_LOCKD_V4
> #undef CONFIG_NFSD
> #undef CONFIG_NFSD_V2_ACL
> #undef CONFIG_NFSD_V3
> #undef CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL
> #undef CONFIG_NFSD_V4
> #undef CONFIG_NFSD_RDMA
>
> amongst a few others that I am far less concerned with.
>
> The problem is, that these are in direct conflict with what I have
> chosen for my kernel build.
>
> Some research has led me to a message
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/general@lists.openfabrics.org/msg18161.html) from Jeff Becker back on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:58:53 -0700 in which he submitted a patch to integrate NFSRDMA into OFED 1.4 which is what appears to have brought these changes into OFED 1.4.

Yup - that was me.

> So, I guess I am wondering how can I build OFED 1.4, leaving out the
> NFSRDMA stuff and yet not override my kernel's config settings for all
> of the above variables?  IOW, I don't want any of those #undefs in the
> OFED autoconf.h overriding the ones in my kernel's autoconf.h
>
> It seems with OFED the only two options for NFS are NFSRDMA or no NFS at
> all.  There is no "use the kernel's NFS, unmodified" option.

I usually build my kernel first (usually with NFS). Then I build OFED.
If I turn off NFS(RDMA), it doesn't affect my kernel. I don't do this
with the install.pl script, but rather by hand (running configure &&
make && make install in my OFED directory).

> Beyond all of the NFSRDMA stuff, why is CONFIG_SYSCTL being drawn into
> all of this?

I thought I needed it for proper configuration of NFSRDMA.
> Any insights would be appreciated.
>
> b.

Please let me know if there are any other questions or issues. Thanks.

-jeff