[ofa-general] OFED 1.4's autoconf.h conflicting with kernel

Brian J. Murrell brian at sun.com
Fri Jan 23 11:12:30 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 11:01 -0800, Jeff Becker wrote:
> Hi Brian

Hi Jeff,

> Yup - that was me.

/me waves jeff.  :-)

> I usually build my kernel first (usually with NFS). Then I build OFED.

Same here.

> If I turn off NFS(RDMA), it doesn't affect my kernel.

No, but it will affect the next thing (i.e. kernel module(s)) you build
with your kernel source and kernel-ib-devel.  Perhaps I am doing this
wrongly, but I have the kernel-ib-devel paths first (i.e. before the
kernel ones) so the autoconf.h is being picked up there and the item of
fallout I noticed first was that the bits in my module that wanted
CONFIG_SYSCTL defined, broke.  My kernel's autoconf.h defines it, but
the OFED one (without nfsrdma) undefines it.

> I don't do this
> with the install.pl script, but rather by hand (running configure &&
> make && make install in my OFED directory).

Yeah.  I rpmbuild --rebuild the SRPM.  Kernel and kernel-ib[-devel] go
fine.  It just this third module I want to build against them both that
goes blooey.

> I thought I needed it for proper configuration of NFSRDMA.

It could be.  But the problem is that it's used for all sorts of other
stuff and #undef'ing it in the OFED autoconf.h contradicts what the
kernel definition wants.

Thots?

b.