***SPAM*** Re: [ofa-general] ***SPAM*** Unable to get IPoIB working

Chuck Hartley hartlch14 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:44:32 PST 2009

Forgot to do reply all...

Well, changing the MTU and using datagram mode did not fix things.

I suspect that the problem lies in the difference between what
ifconfig shows and what the ip command shows.  The fact that ip says
"NO-CARRIER" and "state DOWN" seems to indicate that the interface is
not completely functional in the IPoIB world.
 I don't understand why ip thinks there is no carrier, yet the status
lights on the HCAs and
switch are ok and everyone seems to be communicating ok on the
InfiniBand side of things.

I did some further experimentation and hooked up the other InfiniHost
HCA to our existing network.  I see the same symptoms there, i.e. "ip
show device" shows no carrier and the interface state is down.

Does this indicate that there is some problem with IPoIB on Fedora9?
We are running kernel 2.6.26.6-79.fc9.x86_64.

Is there some IPoIB debug I can turn on somehow?