[Ofa_boardplus] Contractual obligations for interop/logo program?

Jim Ryan jimdryan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:17:11 PST 2019

John, thanks for the question and for using Boardplus. Those who know will
quickly hit the delete key. Those who don't will benefit from the
information.

The interop/logo program has a fixed cost of $180,000 for semi-annual
testing and we pay the cost in two installments. The program is meant to be
self-funding, so each year we determine what the participation fee will be
and per-device testing. So far this has worked.

The reason I was trying to raise a flag at the Board meeting as acting
treasurer is because the OFA has financial responsibility for the program,
should there be a shortfall for any reason.

We're down to only 5 participating members at this point and we learned
recently at least 1 is uncertain about participating this year. That's bad
enough, but it *could* have a "cascading effect" for lack of a better term.
By that I mean this kind of testing may be difficult to justify if there
aren't other devices to test against.

I wanted the Board to be aware of this, including the possibility we may
have to suspend testing with UNH-IOL if participation declines below some
TBD threshold.

I'll know more when I survey the 5 participants for their participation and
number of devices to be tested, so I can provide better info soon. I want
the Board to be aware of this, in general, and in case it generates good
questions like this.

Very happy to explain any part of this further. If anyone wants to
participate directly you'd be more than welcome, of course

Regards, Jim