[openfabrics-ewg] Some intitial test notes on RC5

Tziporet Koren tziporet at mellanox.co.il
Mon May 29 01:02:56 PDT 2006

Betsy Zeller wrote:
> Here's some initial test results from QLogic on installing RC5.
>
> 1) The tarball contains a broken symbolic link, but things seemed to
> work with this removed.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 1078 101    39 May 25 14:27 OFED-1.0-rc5
> -> /mswg2/work/vlad/IBGD/Prod/OFED-1.0-rc5

It is some error in our internal script. We will fix this for RC6.
> 2) Installation failed on SUSE 9.3:
>
> This attempt failed due to the RPM dependency on sysfsutils. This
> package is called udev on SUSE 9.3. In all likelihood the proper
> dependency would be on libsysfs.so.
>
> Here is the error from SUSE 9.3:
>
> Checking dependencies. Please wait ...
>
> ERROR: sysfsutils 64-bit version is required to build libibverbs package
> ERROR: The sysfsutils package is required to build libibverbs_devel RPM

SUSE 9.3 was not one of the OSes that we decided to support, thus we run
checks on SUSE 10 only.
We can see if this can be fixed but not clear me if we want to support
so many systems.

> 3) RHEL 4 SP 3:
>
> This attempt failed due to an unspecified dependency on tcl-devel. Once
> tcl-devel was installed, it built successfully.

tcl-devel is required by the ib-utils package. You can choose not to
install it and then tcl-devel will not be a requirement.
> 4) SLES 10
> We tried this on Beta 8 (will also try on SLES10 RC1), and the attempt
> failed due to a patch failure. The log is attached.

This is iSER issue. As written in the mail iSER can be compiled on
SLES10 beta8 only, and the isue there is the pathces that need to apply
to the SCSI headers (Moni can elaborate more on this). On all other
systems iSER will not be installed, even if you choose all components.
However on SLES10 it will try to install it. Moni from Voltaire said
they will support only SLES10 RC1, on RC6.
> 5) Fedora Core 3:
>
> This attempt failed due to an unspecified dependency on tcl-devel. Once
> tcl-devel was installed, it built successfully.

Same as above.
> 6) Fedora Core 4:
> Like RHEL4 and FC3, except that the machine tested already had
> tcl-devel installed.

Same as above.
> 7) After installation and reboot, the systems were configured with
> less than unsatisfactory IP addresses for the IB ports.
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ib* assigned addresses by
> incrementing the first octet of the eth0 address. This took the
> interface out of the 192.168.*.* protected range. I installed
> the RPMs manually, using rpm -ivh RPMS/*, so this was not done
> by the OFED installer, but rather a script in one of the RPMs.
>
> This problem really needs to be fixed before we ship 1.0.
>
> Once the IP addresses were fixed, IPoIB and SDP worked just as
> expected.

The script that cause it is ofed_net.conf. (it is also explained in the
OFED_Installation_Guide.txt).
You have 2 options: In the manual installation change the default of the
script to any ip address. Or change the setting in the ofed_net.conf file.
We are planning to fix this and give a better way to control the ip
addressed setting. Should be in RC6.

Thanks for the report. If you see more issues, mainly run time errors
please let us know.

Tziporet