[openfabrics-ewg] OFED 1.2 - request addition of VNIC as a feature

Sujal Das Sujal at Mellanox.com
Mon Nov 20 12:56:02 PST 2006

Hello Madhu et al,

I would propose that this be made a topic for board approval.  Till date, we have had drivers for HCAs and R-NICs only.  The eHCA, iPath and MTHCA are accepted IB drivers.  We are afraid the EVIC etc are a new breed of drivers and we may set a precedence for more such drivers in the future.  I cannot judge whether this is a good or a bad thing, except that it is different from what has been in OFA till date.  Also, it seems like a proprietary way of interfacing with gateways to the Ethernet LAN, the standard way being the use of an accepted protocol such as IPoIB.  Hence, we would request a discussion in the BOD on this.

Thanks

Sujal
Regards,
Sujal Das
(Sent from my Blackberry)

----- Original Message -----
From: openfabrics-ewg-bounces at openib.org <openfabrics-ewg-bounces at openib.org>
To: openfabrics-ewg at openib.org <openfabrics-ewg at openib.org>
Cc: openib-general at openib.org <openib-general at openib.org>
Sent: Mon Nov 20 12:42:34 2006
Subject: [openfabrics-ewg] OFED 1.2 - request addition of VNIC as a feature

We, at QLogic, request that the VNIC be added as a feature to be supported in OFED 1.2.

The VNIC software is a device driver for QLogic's Ethernet Virtual I/O controller hardware, the VEx and the EVIC.

This software adds support in OpenFabrics for the stated hardware, without which the hardware cannot be used with OFED.

The source has been resubmitted for a second round of review. Roland has created a branch for it off of his master kernel GIT tree.

The code is feature complete today and is undergoing alpha testing on OFED 1.1. Beta testing will be completed by Dec. 31. The GA candidate should be available by Jan. 15, well before the Aplha / Feature freeze date of Jan. 31 for OFED 1.2.

Thanks,

Madhu Lakshmanan

QLogic Corporation