[openfabrics-ewg] Applying kernel patch to OFED on redhat

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Wed Sep 27 13:49:29 PDT 2006

We were trying to figure out how one applies a patch to the OFED 1.1
code,
and it was less than obvious how to do it. This is what we did, which
seemed to work but it would be better if it could be done easier.
Not sure if there is some other way to do it or
not, but this seemed to work.
Go to your ofed directory that you installed from:

cd SRPMS

rpm -i openib-1.1-0.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
tar zxf openib-1.1.tgz
cd openib-1.1/drivers/infiniband/core
apply patch
cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
tar zcf openib-1.1.tgz openib-1.1
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
rpmbuild -ba -target=x86_64 openib.spec
cd /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
cp openib-1.1.-0.src.rpm to your unpacked ofed install directory SRPMS
./install.sh

Would it be possible in a future release to have a "patches" directory
and have
the install scripts apply the patches in the patches directory before
building
the software ? If we could do that, it would make it easier to send out
critical bug fix patches for a particular release, without having to
release
an entire bug fix release every time a critical bug is found.

woody