[ewg] Re: pkey change handling patch

Or Gerlitz or.gerlitz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:57:35 PDT 2007

On 4/25/07, Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com> wrote:

> > 1. Direct access in ib_find_pkey will probably heart RC connections
> > per second rate.
>
> I think it's probably in the noise.  And anyway I don't think the
> connection rate of ipoib CM is particularly important.  And we can
> always optimize ib_find_pkey as part of the longer-term plan to get
> rid of ib_find_cached_pkey.

rate of connections per second might be an intresting feature in the context
of doing TCP offload eg with SDP, when you want to see how many connetions
can a web server or database establish with clients in unit of time. With
the cache elimination every new connection will consume two more IB commands
(port query and pkey table read).

> > 2. What do you think about OrG's opinion (I'm copying it from the other
> thread):
>
> He seems to be saying that it's OK to introduce a window where things
> fail spuriously.  I disagree.

Let it be. It makes sense to me to eliminate the cache.

Or.