[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] Minutes for January 15, 2007 teleconference about OFED 1.2 development progress toward code freeze

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Thu Jan 18 02:27:00 PST 2007

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Sounds too risky to me, this is technology preview code so
> I want to have all this stuff off by default but easily
> enabled by users who want to demo.

I really don't want us to go again through things like yours (MST, Jack)
vs. Sean rdma_establish, ucma versions etc.

Like it or not, as was defined by the founders, OFED is --not-- a
framework for development and unless there is a very specific reason (*)
its kernel/user content should be based on code that have --passed
through this component maintainer--

As been said over this list lets not treat OFED as a framework to shovel
in unreviewed code.

If you feel that your mthca and rdmacm QoS changes should be under
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL , for-mm etc, specify this when you send the patches
for review.

Bottom line, lets not hind behind obscure definitions like "technology
preview" to escape from normal processes where there -is- an
alternative, the point here is not to meet the code freeze dead line
avoiding normal processes - lets use processes and extend the deadline
for the QoS merge if needed.

(*) So far, the only case where people felt it makes sense to merge out
of tree code was the local-sa and it is done by this component maintainer.

> After I post the rest of the code, if you like you'll be able to
> post an iser patch to add this stuff to iser as well.

this is irrelevant till we resolve the process.