[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] Toward next OFED release (1.3)

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Jun 26 22:01:33 PDT 2007

Roland Dreier wrote:
>  > This comment  is aligned with OFED development methodology.
>  > Regarding all kernel modules that are part of Linux: we first push the
>  > change to the kernel and base OFED on this code.
>  > We take kernel patches for bug fixes and portions that are targeted
>  > for the kernel inclusion.
>  > OFED does not come to be a bypass for the Linux kernel development process.
>
> Right, I think we agree on things here.  I just want to emphasize that
> the best and easiest way to get things into OFED is to get them into
> upstream sources.  And I hope OFED maintainers will start to push back
> on patch submissions to OFED that have not at least been submitted for
> upstream inclusion.

Note that not that OFED 1.1 and 1.2 only include kernel drivers which
are not upstream, some of them (eg SDP, RDS) never passed any --review--
cycle at the relevant mailing lists (openib,netdev,lkml). Now, for OFED
1.3 there's a suggestion to add rNFS which was also never reviewed.

So "we agree on things here" but it does not happen, do people have
suggestions how to move forward?

Or.