[ewg] Re: iSER issues for OFED 1.3

Erez Zilber erezz at Voltaire.COM
Tue Oct 9 01:44:19 PDT 2007

Vladimir Sokolovsky wrote:

> [...]

I didn't know that this patch ever existed. open-iscsi is not supported
on RH4 up2, so why should this happen? The installation script in OFED
1.2 prevented that.

> > it
> > ofa_kernel
> > >>

> > > I suggest to take ib-bonding as an example
> > >

> > I spoke with MoniS about that. He says that no IB module uses the
> > bonding module symbols. This is different from what we have in iSER:
> > iSER uses symbols from open-iscsi. If the open-iscsi rpm looks like
> the
> > bonding rpm, it won't work because iSER will be later get built (in
> the
> > ofa_kernel rpm) against the old open-iscsi symbols (from the distro).
> > What do you suggest to do?
> >

> You can create Module.symvers file for the new open-iscsi symbols and
> then copy this file into iSER subdirectory before compiling iSER.

This is really problematic because it means that we need to do the
following:

    * Compile open-iscsi and create the binary open-iscsi rpm.
    * Open the ofa_kernel src rpm and copy Module.symvers into it.
    * Create the ofa_kernel src rpm again and compile it.

Unless you have another idea, I think that we should consider not
separating iSCSI from the ofa_kernel rpm. It will be not as clean as we
wanted in the first place, but the code will be simpler and easier to
maintain.

Erez