[ewg] Re: iSER issues for OFED 1.3

Vladimir Sokolovsky vlad at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue Oct 9 08:20:04 PDT 2007

Erez Zilber wrote:
> Vladimir Sokolovsky wrote:

In any case your last commits break this patch.
Should I remove it from the backports?

>> > it
>> > ofa_kernel

>> > I spoke with MoniS about that. He says that no IB module uses the
>> > bonding module symbols. This is different from what we have in iSER:
>> > iSER uses symbols from open-iscsi. If the open-iscsi rpm looks like
>> the
>> > bonding rpm, it won't work because iSER will be later get built (in
>> the
>> > ofa_kernel rpm) against the old open-iscsi symbols (from the distro).
>> > What do you suggest to do?
>> >

>> You can create Module.symvers file for the new open-iscsi symbols and
>> then copy this file into iSER subdirectory before compiling iSER.
>>

> This is really problematic because it means that we need to do the
> following:
>
>    * Compile open-iscsi and create the binary open-iscsi rpm.
Right.

>    * Open the ofa_kernel src rpm and copy Module.symvers into it.
>    * Create the ofa_kernel src rpm again and compile it.

Why is that?
open-iscsi RPM can include its Module.symvers and install it.
Then ofa_kernel rpmbuild process should copy this file into iSER subdirectory and run make.

> Unless you have another idea, I think that we should consider not
> separating iSCSI from the ofa_kernel rpm. It will be not as clean as we
> wanted in the first place, but the code will be simpler and easier to
> maintain.

Why do you want to separate iSCSI from ofa_kernel?
I am OK with leaving iSCSI as is.

Regards,
Vladimir