[ewg] ofed-1.4 ofed_2_6_27 and NFSRDMA

Jeff Becker Jeffrey.C.Becker at nasa.gov
Tue Aug 5 09:08:05 PDT 2008

Steve Wise wrote:
> Jeff Becker wrote:
>> Steve Wise wrote:
>>>
>>> Jeff, I'm running on the ofed-1.4 ofed_2_6_27 branch.  Building
>>> against a 2.6.27-rc1 running kernel that has nfsrdma configured.  I
>>> then build/install the ofed drivers with nfsrdma configured in the
>>> ofed tree.  This  _should_ effectively "replace"  the xprtrdma and
>>> scvrdma modules from the 2.6.27-rc1 tree with the ofed built
>>> versions.  It apparently is not doing this.  The result is an oops
>>> when you try to use nfsrdma because the header files for key rdma
>>> structs are different from the 2.6.27-rc1 kernel includes and the
>>> ofed-1.4 includes.
>>> It appears that the nfsrdma modules are _not_ getting installed by
>>> the ofed makefiles.  EG I don't see an xprtrdma.ko in
>>> /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/kernel/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma.  I only
>>> see on in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma.
>> Hi Steve. Thanks for finding this. Actually, I had only tested the
>> base nfsrdma build/install on 2.6.26. I then switched to working on
>> backports, and haven't had a chance to sync up my tree with the
>> 2.6.27-rc1 stuff. I'll do that as soon as I can.
>>
> Note there are no backports for 2.6.27-rc1.  I think this is
> makefile/bldenv issue.  I'm willing to debug this.
I thought backports are only included for kernels older than the version
(2.6.27-rc1 in this case) on which the OFED release is based?

> Also, i'm going to be taking Tom Tucker's fast-reg patches and adding
> them to ofed-1.4#ofed_2_6_27.  I'll try and get all this working on
> 2.6.27-rc1.  How does that sound?
Great.

> Also, did you include the nfsutils package in ofed-1.4?  We'll need
> that for mount.nfs.
I haven't done that yet, as I've been focusing on the kernel stuff.
Also, I was thinking that it might be OK for folks to go grab that
independently of OFED. But on second thought (and after seeing your
suggestion) I agree. I'll see if I can pull together an RPM.

Thanks.

-jeff