[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED Jan 28 meeting summary on RC3 readiness

Chet Mehta chetm at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 30 20:16:17 PST 2008

Robert,

> A more general question I would like to ask the group is how many people
use OFED from the RH or SUSE distros as
> is, as compared with using OFED releases from other sources like the IB
vendors, or building their own from
> openfabrics.org?  We use RH distros, but to this point, the OFED support
provided in RH distros has lagged
> behind the latest releases available from openfabrics.org.  This is not
to fault Red Hat, but OFED is still
> changing too rapidly, with minor point releases and bug fixes, for a
distro to keep up.  I think many of us hope
> that someday that will not be the case, but appears to be true for the
foreseeable future.  Right now, our mode
> of operation is to remove whatever IB support comes in the distro and
replace it, so it does not help us to
> delay  OFED 1.3 to get a particular bug fix in a distro.

I believe the question that should be asked is "'How many IB customers
would like to use the OFED distribution if provided by the distro?"  The
answer at least for the customer set we deal with is pretty much
unanimous. The fact is that customers are already dealing with a distro
for their base OS so obtaining the interconnect code & support from the
same sources is highly desirable. When OpenIB was new (in 2004/5) and
"common" IB code was still in its infancy, the customer set was tolerant
of 'build your own' or vendor provided distribution mechanism. However if
IB is to become a ubiquitous interconnect, we in OFA have to strive to
tailor our deliverables to meet distro requirements. Until we do that, IB
will have difficultly gaining broader market acceptance.

Just my perspective.

:Chet.