[ewg] question about sles 11 backport

Jeff Becker Jeffrey.C.Becker at nasa.gov
Tue Mar 3 11:48:55 PST 2009

Hi Brian

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I'm looking at the latest tree for the 1.4.1 release, and while I see a
>
> kernel_patches/backport/2.6.27_sles11/to_sles11.patch
>
> I don't see any subdir in kernel_addons/backport for sles 11.
>
> That brings me to 2 questions...
>
>      1. is what are in the kernel_patches/backport directory patches
>         that get applied to the OFA source directly in order to work
>         with a given kernel?

In most cases both the patches and the backport headers are used

>      2. does the lack of a kernel_addons/backport directory for sles 11
>         mean that there are no kernel "include" changes needed for the
>         sles 11 kernel to build the OFED stack?

Right, since OFED 1.4.1 and SLES11 are both based on kernel 2.6.27. Note
however, that sometimes the includes are patched by the backport patch.
This is typically done in cases where the include file is actually
checked out by the ofed_checkout.sh script - see
ofed_scripts/checkout_files for a list of these.

-jeff