[ewg] Re: Build problem with rnfs-utils

Alexander Schmidt alexs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 27 03:09:03 PDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:09:59 -0500
Jon Mason <jon at opengridcomputing.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:16:33AM +0100, Alexander Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i am trying to install OFED-1.4.1-20090325-0600 on a powerpc system with
> > RHEL5.3, including the rnfs-utils package. The build process fails with the
> > following message:
> >
> > checking for powerpc-redhat-linux-gnu-ld... /usr/bin/ld
> > checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
> > checking for GNU libc2... yes
> > checking for BSD signal semantics... no
> > checking for gethostbyname... yes
> > checking for connect... yes
> > checking for getaddrinfo... yes
> > checking for getrpcbynumber... yes
> > checking for getservbyname... yes
> > checking for crypt in -lcrypt... yes
> > checking for blkid_get_library_version in -lblkid... no
> > configure: error: libblkid needed
> > error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5516 (%build)
> >
> > I have e2fsprogs-devel-1.39-20.el5.ppc64.rpm installed on the system. When
> > I install e2fsprogs-devel-1.39-20.el5.ppc.rpm in addition, the build process
> > works fine. Can this be fixed in the rnfs-utils package so that the 64bit
> > version of e2fsprogs-devel is used or do we need an additional dependency to
> > the 32bit version in the OFED install script?
>
> It is breaking because the install.pl script is modifying the CFLAGS,
> etc for ppc64.  I have a patch available which allows the CFLAGS, etc to
> be 64bit.  This change enables it to compile.  I do not know the reasons
> why the SRPMS are compiled 32bit on ppc64, so I do not know if this is
> the proper fix (or if we need to have the 32bit version of
> e2fsprogs-devel).
>
> Let me know which fix is preferred, and I'll make the necessary change
> and push it to Vlad.

Well, I also don't know why the CFLAGS are set in the installer or if the
64bit version of rnfs-utils is supposed to work, so I'm not the right
person to make that decision. However, as adding a dependency on the
e2fsprogs-devel 32bit version seems to be the less intrusive change to me,
I would go for that.

Thanks,
Alex