[ewg] Getting started

Paul Grun pgrun at systemfabricworks.com
Mon Jun 11 12:27:49 PDT 2012

Paulo -
Any RDMA technology (e.g. IB, iWARP or RoCE) is an end-to-end solution.
Thus to achieve an RDMA solution you MUST treat both ends of the
communication; there is nothing you can do on one end to achieve an
RDMA-based low latency solution without treating both ends simultaneously.

As for RDMAP, there's a slight bit of confusion here.  IB, iWARP and RoCE
all define what I think of as a message service to allow an application to
communicate in a low latency way with other applications and services on the
network.  The API for using that message service is the OFA Verbs API.

The Verbs API is 'transport agnostic', meaning that an application can use
the Verbs API regardless of whether the underlying transport is InfiniBand
over an IB wire, InfiniBand over an Ethernet wire (i.e. RoCE), or RDMA over
a TCP/IP/Ethernet network (iWARP).

In the case of iWARP, the 'message service' consists of three layers, called
MPA, DDP and RDMAP running over a TCP/IP network.

If you follow this link to the InfiniBand Trade Association website,
http://infinibandta.org/content/pages.php?pg=resources_presentations, you
will find a presentation from Supercomputing 2010 called "A Unified Approach
to Networks" which attempts to illustrate this point.

Regards,
-Paul Grun