[fsdpwg] Account creation forms

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 13:27:25 PDT 2020

The public ssh key is optional, but highly recommended.  If it's provided, it will be added to your account in the IPA server and your key will then be accepted on the build machine and other places.  But, you can do username/password only as well.

If your Windows laptop is Windows 10, then you don't need putty (and in fact, I think putty doesn't work as well as the built in OpenSSH).

My recommended setup for people with Windows 10 desktops/laptops is:

Viscosity for OpenVPN
Turn on OpenSSH client by going to Apps & Features, then clicking Optional Features, then enabling OpenSSH Client.  This will enable the regular ssh command from a generic windows command terminal
Install Git for Windows (gitforwindows.org) - This gives you both local git commands and a bash shell

With this setup, you should be able to fire up Viscosity to bring up the VPN, then open a Git bash window, then simply ssh to the build server, skipping Putty entirely.

Optionally, you can also go to Settings -> Apps and Features, click on Programs and Features on the right side, then in the window that pops up click on Turn Windows features on or off on the left hand side, then in that window make sure that Windows Subsystem for Linux is enabled (and you will need either Virtual Machine Platform or Windows Hypervisor Platform too, but I can't remember which).  Then you can go to the Windows Store and purchase/download one of the Linux subsystem images.  Then you would be able to open a git bash shell, enter the command wsl, and then next thing you know you are running in an actual linux machine on your Windows box.  They use a very lightweight linux kernel for this, so it performs well without taxing the Windows machine much more than just native Windows apps would.

(I should probably save off these instructions to a file in the fsdp_docs repo...)