[ofa-general] Re: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers

Al Viro viro at ZenIV.linux.org.uk
Thu Feb 21 19:13:15 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 03:23:45AM +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Al Viro <viro at ZenIV.linux.org.uk> writes:
>
> > ... if your style is lousy.  I agree that situation with printks is
> > not normal in that respect and I certainly have no love for the
> > checkpatch nonsense, but pressure to keep the fucking nesting depth
> > low is a Good Thing(tm).
>
> Indeed. Unfortunately it is orthogonal to the line length limit.

Not quite.  Add such things as choice of sane identifiers.  And sane use of
local variables, while we are at it - things like twenty lines of
	foobar[(index + 1) % BLAH]->spork.vomit[12]->field_name = <expr>;
with the only difference in the field_name, except for one line where
we have a typo and see 11 instead of intended 12, are responsible for quite
a few of such overruns.

IMO the line length overruns make good warnings.  Not as in "here's a cheap
way to get more changesets", but as in "that code might have other problems
nearby" kind of heuristics.