[ofa-general] IPoIB Connected Mode Throughput Question

Eli Cohen eli at dev.mellanox.co.il
Thu Feb 28 02:32:50 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 17:39 -0500, Wittawat Tantisiriroj wrote:
> Hi,
>     We have set up a small InfiniBand cluster to do several network
> storage experiments over IPoIB. However, we had the problem getting a
> good throughput with IPoIB-connected mode. So, we followed the same
> benchmark that Michael S. Tsirkin did in
> "http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/general/2006-November/029500.html".
> We realize that even with a simple scenario we still get only ~620MB/s
> throughput from IPoIB-CM. I searched around with Google, but I cannot
> find any information regarding IPoIB-CM throughput.
>
> My question is:
>
> - Is this throughput typical/normal in most system?

You can't say there is a typical result for this check -- it depends on
the "strength" of your system. One thing you can do is watch how much of
the CPU is used - you can use htop for that (it gives you per CPU
utilization). If you use 100% CPU than stronger machines will give
higher results.

On my systems (AMD @2.4 Ghz) / mt25204 I get:
[root at sw186 ~]# netperf -H 11.4.3.185 -f M
TCP STREAM TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 11.4.3.185
(11.4.3.185) port 0 AF_INET
Recv   Send    Send
Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed
Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput
bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    MBytes/sec

 87380  16384  16384    10.01     755.20

On other systems with Arbel (mt25218) I get 980 MB/s etc.