[ofa-general] Infiniband back-to-back without OpenSM?

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Wed May 28 07:31:38 PDT 2008

At 09:49 AM 5/28/2008, Tziporet Koren wrote:
>Talpey, Thomas wrote:
>>
>> If you're wondering, my goal is give NFS/RDMA users a way to avoid having
>> to install the many userspace modules needed to do this, including
>libibverbs,
>> opensm, etc. There's a lot to get wrong, and things go missing. Seeking an
>> "easy" way to get started with just the kernel and some shell commands.
>>

>No need for libibverbs for opensm, just the management libraries.

Hmm, well expanding on my "etc.", at the NFS Connectathon we were
trying to install it on a green Fedora 9 system, and the RedHat opensm
package (OFED 1.3) wanted the following prerequisites:
	libibcommon
	libibumad
	opensm_lib
	opensm

In addition we needed to install
	libmthca
which in turn wanted
	libibverbs

And, after we successfully loaded it all and started opensm, etc,
then ipoib wouldn't come up to RUNNING because it couldn't join
the broadcast group.

At which point, we threw up our hands because all we wanted to
do was make a b2b connection, so we admitted defeat and connected
to a managed switch. :-/

I'm just looking to make it easier for the next guy/gal. ;-)

Tom.