[ofa-general] Infiniband back-to-back without OpenSM?

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Wed May 28 08:24:29 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 10:31 -0400, Talpey, Thomas wrote:
> In addition we needed to install
>         libmthca
> which in turn wanted
>         libibverbs

AFAIK, there is no OpenSM requirement for these libraries.

> And, after we successfully loaded it all and started opensm, etc,
> then ipoib wouldn't come up to RUNNING because it couldn't join
> the broadcast group.

This was likely due to IPoIB needing to be enabled on the default
partition. From the 1.3 opensm man page,

PARTITION CONFIGURATION
       The default name of OpenSM partitions configuration file is
       /etc/opensm/partitions.conf. The default may be changed by using
       --Pconfig (-P) option with OpenSM.
       The  following  rule  is equivalent to how OpenSM used to run prior to
       the partition manager:

        Default=0x7fff,ipoib:ALL=full;