[ofa-general] Loopback connection not working on Chelsio

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Jul 7 01:15:06 PDT 2009

pandit ib wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting loopback rdma connections working on Chelsio. We were told that loopback connections are not supported. Is this an iWarp or Chelsio specific issue? What are the issues that is preventing it from working?
Basically, thinking a bit about this, loopback communication is
possible/trivial with IB since (I am quite sure) by spec HCA must/should
support some sort of bridging, in other words if both QPs are on the
same node then their communication doesn't go to the network (IB
switches will never send a packet through the port it was received).
Now, when your L2 network is Ethernet, you need to have someone let you
do this U turn. When communication is going through the network stack,
the latter takes care this, but when it doesn't you need to have support
either at the NIC or the switch. Modern (H2/2009, later) NICs, such as
those supporting SR-IOV and/or multiple physical functions would support
some sort of bridging. I don't think its an iwarp limitation.

Or.