[libfabric-users] Multicast support

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Sep 13 11:04:43 PDT 2016

> I’ve been developing an application with libfabric, and I’d like
> support for multicast operations. I didn’t find anything in the man
> pages about it, so I Googled around and found an old thread:
>
> http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/ofiwg/2015-August/000836.html
>

> It states that as of a year ago, adding multicast was on the roadmap. I
> couldn’t find anything further on this matter, so I decided to join
> this list and ask directly. Is there currently support for multicast?
> If not, will it be added?

There are plans to eventually add multicast, however, we don't have a timeline for when it would be available.  You can also look at

https://github.com/ofiwg/libfabric/issues/1001

which is tracking how to best incorporate multicast support into the API.

A bigger gap is trying to determine when providers that can support multicast will be available.  The UDP provider can support it, I'm guessing usNIC may be able to, and InfiniBand verbs could.