[libfabric-users] Two-stage completion

Smith, Jonathan D jonathan.d.smith at intel.com
Thu Sep 15 09:25:54 PDT 2016

...oh? I thought that FI_TRANSMIT_COMPLETE was the local completion and FI_DELIVERY_COMPLETE was the remote completion. What does this mean, then?

FI_TRANSMIT_COMPLETE
	Applies to fi_sendmsg. Indicates that a completion should not be generated until the operation has been successfully transmitted and is no longer being tracked by the provider.
FI_DELIVERY_COMPLETE
	Applies to fi_sendmsg. Indicates that a completion should be generated when the operation has been processed by the destination.

Anyway, I realize that I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, but in general, I'm looking for:
	1. Blocking send semantics over unconnected endpoints
	2. You get to send again as soon as the buffer is safe to write to (currently my use case for the cq),
	3. You also get some kind of event when we're sure the destination received the event,
	4. The application doesn't perform extra copy operations on the message unless it's completely unavoidable.

This doesn't mean "return from the send call with the buffer safe ASAP," as in that case I would just use the memcpy strategy.

So is fi_tinject with FI_INJECT_COMPLETE what I want? It seems that that's probably the case, but I do need unconnected endpoints. Since the man pages say that it's an "optimized version of fi_tsend" it leads me to believe I cannot use it without establishing a connection.

Thanks,
Jonathan