[libfabric-users] libfabric hangs on QEMU/KVM virtual cluster

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Mon Feb 5 15:23:52 PST 2018

> Yes, running over the socket provider. I configured libfabric-1.5.3
> with default providers; udp and socket are the only ones - plus rxm
> and rxd, but I don't think they apply.
>
> FWIW, I saw the same hang with 1.3.0 and 1.4.2, and I see the same
> hang with OpenVPN and libfabric on QEMU (though I haven't looked into
> OpenVPN in as much detail).
>
> It shouldn't matter, but I'm running QEMU/KVM on an AMD box, so there
> could be some hidden Intel-ism that's causing the problem. (My latent
> paranoia is showing...)

The socket provider is standard BSD sockets, without any CPU specific code.  That will change in v1.6.0 in order to add CPU specific instructions to handle persistent memory.  But the code should still work fine across any supported platform.  I'm just limited on my testing environment.

Is the VM 32-bit or 64-bit?